Frequently Asked Questions

You can contact Board of Supervisor members via email which you can find on our Board of Supervisors page by clicking HERE.

At every Board of Supervisors Public Meeting, there is a time for Public Comment on any items not specifically listed on the Agenda. At this time, you can address the Board with your specific concern.

The Township Manager and staff help set the Board’s Agenda based on the current events that come before the Township. The Chairperson of the Board maintains the final say on each agenda. If you are pursuing a land development, planning, or re-zoning issue, you will follow the flow of activities which will lead you to a Board meeting once your particular application is ready for the Board’s consideration. All other requests should be addressed in writing to the Township Manager.

Township Staff

The Board of Supervisors Agenda is released no later than Friday afternoon prior to a Board meeting to be held the following Monday. It is posted outside the Township building and on the Township’s website HERE.

The Board of Supervisors meets on the first and third Monday of each month at 207 Park Avenue, Chalfont, PA 18914. The meeting begins at 7:00 p.m., except once per quarter, the Board of Supervisors will have a morning work session held at 10:00 a.m. Click HERE to see the meeting dates for the current year.

Voters in New Britain Township vote in five (5) different locations.

  • The East District votes at the New Britain Township Administration building.
    • 207 Park Avenue, Chalfont, PA 18914
  • The West District 1 votes at Grace Community Bible Church.
    • 300 Highpoint Drive, Chalfont, PA 18914
  • The West District 2 votes at Byer’s Choice Ltd.
    • 4355 County Line Road, Chalfont, PA 18914
  • The South District 1 & 2 votes at Simon Butler Elementary School.
    • 200 Brittany Drive, Chalfont, PA 18914

To view the Voting District map click HERE.

Depending on where you live, there are three water companies that service New Britain Township.

  • Aqua Water Company – 1-800-711-4779
  • North Wales Water Authority – 215-699-4836
  • North Penn Water Authority – 215-855-3617

To view the New Britain Township Public Water map click HERE.

PennDOT is responsible for maintaining state roadways. State roads in New Britain Township are Routes 152, 202, and 313, Barry Road, Bristol Road, Callowhill Road, County Line Road, Ferry Road, and Hilltown Pike. Also New Galena Road (Hilltown Pike to Callowhill Road) and Railroad Avenue (from Barry Road to Route 152).

To report road issues on state roads contact the PennDOT at 1-800-FIX-ROAD (1-800-349-7623), or submit your concern online HERE.

Please see our Fee Schedule.

Anyone can apply for a permit with property owner’s permission. The property owner’s signature is required on the application.

All residential home improvement contractors and subcontractors must be registered with the State of Pennsylvania. You can find information on registering as a contractor HERE.

New Britain Township requires contractors to submit a copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance with permit applications.

You can check in multiple locations Bucks County Board of Assessments, Bucks County GIS, or the Township’s Map page. If you are using the Bucks County Board of Assessments website to look up your address, all properties in New Britain Township have a parcel ID beginning with “26-“.

Bucks County Board of Assessments

Bucks County GIS


No, the Zoning Permit Application must be approved before the Construction Permit Application submission.

-International Residential Code 2018 (Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical and Energy Conservation)
-Pennsylvania Alternative Residential Energy Provisions 2018

-International Building Code 2018
-NFPA 70, National Electrical Code, 2017
-International Mechanical Code 2018
-International Plumbing Code 2018
-International Existing Building Code 2018
-International Energy Conservation Code 2018
-International Building Code Accessibility Requirements 2018 Chapter 11
-ICC A117.1 2009 Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
-Pennsylvania Alternative Energy Code 2021

Any plans submitted to New Britain Township must adhere to the adopted codes listed above.

Chapter 4 – Building
Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

Usually up to 15 business days for residential and 30 business days for commercial.

No. Under state law, a permit must be issued and paid for prior to beginning work.

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

Yes, all new commercial and residential buildings, including single-family homes, need to have a sprinkler system installed.

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

A construction permit is required only if replacing the plywood or rafters. For shingles only, no permit is required.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

No. The PA UCC does not require a permit to be issued for siding.

A construction permit is required only when a deck is higher than 30″ above the grade of the ground. All decks below 30″ above the grade of ground require a zoning permit only. If your deck is under 36″ above the grade of the ground and it is covering the basement egress, you must build a hatch in the deck flooring.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

Yes, a construction permit is required for all pools which contain over 24″ of water depth. A zoning permit is also required.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

A construction permit is required only when a patio is higher than 30″ above the grade of the ground. A zoning permit is always required for all patios.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

Yes, a road opening permit is required when working in the township road right-of-way.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 5 – Code Enforcement

Fences are exempt from building permits. However, there are zoning requirements. See Zoning FAQs.

Forms & Documents

All sheds over 250 square feet require a construction permit. All sheds require a zoning permit.

Forms & Documents

All signs require construction and zoning permits.

Forms & Documents

All basement work requires a Construction permit and the second means of egress (Bilco doors or emergency escape window).

Forms & Documents

No permit is required unless you are increasing the width of the window, then you require a structural permit.

Yes, a Use and Occupancy is required for a resale, lease or rental property.

The seller or landlord is responsible for obtaining a Use and Occupancy application from from the Township as well as paying the fee and setting up an inspection. (Agents are authorized to apply in place of seller).

No person should go to settlement or occupy a space without a Use and Occupany Certificate. This is to ensure everyone’s safety.

Application are available on the Township’s website on the Forms & Documents page or can be picked up at the Township.

Forms & Documents

An inspection should be scheduled no earlier than three weeks prior to the needed inspection and should be scheduled no earlier than three weeks prior to settlement.

No. The Use & Occupancy inspection is not a substitute for a standard home inspection when buying or selling a property. The Township is only checking for general health, safety, and welfare issues, such as hand rails, tripping hazards, smoke detectors, etc.

Until resale of property or change of tenant.

Zoning Permit applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis. Typically, applications are reviewed and granted/denied within 15-30 business days following submission. and 30 business days for commercial.

Decks and patios require a zoning Permit. Decks above 30″ grade elevation require a zoning and building permit.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 27 – Zoning

All accessory structures, such as sheds, detached garages, swimming pools etc. require a zoning permit. Sheds and garages over 250 square feet also require a building permit.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 27 – Zoning

Swimming pools less than 24″ high do not require a permit, but must be emptied when not in use, unless it is in a fenced-in area.

Forms & Documents

Complete a Zoning Permit Application and submit it to the Zoning Officer for review.

As a general rule, an accessory structure must be 15 feet back from the rear and side walls of the principal structure and 15 feet from the side and rear property lines. This may vary based on your properties zoning district, lot size, etc.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 27 – Zoning

A Zoning Permit is required to install a fence. A fence may be up to 6 feet high in the side and rear yards. Within front yards, a fence can be no higher than 4 feet with a 4:1 ratio of opaque to non-opaque areas.

Forms & Documents

Chapter 27 – Zoning

Yes, occupancy permits are issued for new homes, new commercial structures, existing residential (real estate transactions), apartments, change of commercial tenants, and home-based businesses.

Forms & Documents

A site plan must accompany all zoning permit applications. The plan must show the setbacks from the property lines to the new construction. Also, provide the square footage of each item on the lot for impervious surface calculations.

Forms & Documents

In general, any area greater than 1,000 square feet in size that are stripped of vegetation or ground cover requires a Zoning Permit. This includes cutting or filling dirt, modifying or affecting overland stormwater flow, and installation of a dam, ditch, culvert, drainpipe, bridge, etc.

Forms & Documents

Yes, weeds and grasses can only be 6″ high. This does not include flowers, shrubs, trees, and cultivated plants.

Chapter 10- Health and Safety

Yes, the maintenance, including repair & replacement, of all curbs, sidewalk, bike path, pedestrian walkway, swale, or gutters are the responsibility of the property owner to maintain.

Chapter 21 – Streets and Sidewalks

  • While the permitted uses for each Zoning District are defined in the Ordinance, the question of what uses can be conducted on a property is often complex residents should hire a professional to assist them with their application. The Township Zoning Officer will provide a final determination, once a review of a formal Zoning Permit Application is conducted against the Township’s adopted Zoning Ordinance.
  • As a way of getting preliminary information regarding a proposed use, the Zoning Officer recommends you first check if the property use you are proposing is a permitted use in the Zoning District the property is located. If it is a permitted use, you should visit §27-305 of the Zoning Ordinance to view additional regulations surrounding the use.

Contact the Township’s Parks & Recreation Coordinator at the New Britain Township Administration building.

Park Use Application
Township Staff

The Police non-emergency phone number is 215-822-1910.

No. The police department is manned by clerical staff Monday thru Friday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, excluding holidays. Officers are routinely on patrol and not at the station. Therefore, phones will generally not be answered outside of normal business hours. Residents can call 215-328-8508 after hours for non-emergency situations and an officer will assist you when they become available.

If you have an emergency or witness a crime in progress call 911. If you have witnessed suspicious activity, call or email and let us help you.

If you have an emergency or observe a crime in progress, dial 9-1-1. If you have a non-emergency or are in search of information, please call 215-348-3524. The dispatcher will either help you or direct your call to the proper person or agency.

Traffic crash reports are available 7-10 business days after the date of the crash unless the crash involves a fatality or is being reconstructed (allow for 30 days).

To obtain a crash report visit

Forms & Documents

You must be the complainant (caller) to obtain a copy of the investigative reports. If you are not the complainant, a court-issued subpoena is required. These reports must be obtained in person during normal business hours and proper identification is required. Requests will not be processed until payment is received.

Forms & Documents

No. This department will not investigate a traffic crash that occurred outside of our jurisdiction, after the date it occurred or if the vehicle was moved a substantial distance from the scene.

Township issued parking tickets may be submitted in person at the police station during normal business hours, dropped in the mail slot in front of the police station outside of normal business hours or sent via U.S. Mail. If you do not respond to the township issued parking ticket within 72 hours, a state citation will be filed and you will incur further costs.

Checks are payable to “New Britain Township Police Department.”

Traffic citations and Non-traffic citations are to be remitted and/or paid for at District Court #07-2-08. The District Court office is located at 962 Town Center, New Britain, PA, 18901 (behind the shopping center at RT 202 & Lenape Drive).

All questions regarding citations should be directed to District Court at 215-230-7265.

Yes, Calls of stray dogs, or animals that appear sick/rabid and pose a threat to persons or property. All sick or rabid animals which pose a threat to persons or property should be reported. Officers will only transport stray dogs to a kennel for lodging. Dog owners will be cited for loose running dogs and/or failure to have the dog registered with the county.

Solicitor’s permits are required when an individual or group goes house to house or business to business without invitation, or upon the public streets or highways of the Township, engaging in peddling, canvassing, soliciting, hawking, vending, taking orders, selling, or offering for sale any commercial services, goods, wares, merchandise, printed matter, or food products. Religious & Political organizations/individuals are exempt.

Solicitor’s permits are issued by the Police Department and can be applied for in person during normal business hours or via U.S. Mail. Applications will not be processed until payment is received.

Forms & Documents

Yes, registration forms are available at the New Britain Township Police Department or online at the Township’s website.

Forms & Documents

Under the PA Vehicle Code, an abandoned vehicle is defined as a vehicle which,

  • is physically inoperable and left unattended on a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours; or
  • has remained illegally on a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours; or
  • is left unattended on or along a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours and does not bear all of the following: (a) a valid registration plate, (b) a current certificate of inspection or (c) an ascertainable vehicle identification number (VIN); or
  • has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than 24 hours.

The Police Department’s Traffic Safety Unit will investigate vehicles which fall under the abandoned vehicle criteria above, except for vehicles which are on private property. Removal of vehicles on private property shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner, lessee or person in control of said property. Download factsheet disposal of abandoned vehicles from private property pdf for more info

Christmas trees may be taken to West Branch Park located off of Schoolhouse Road between Cedar Hill Road and Walnut Streets or North Branch Park located behind the Township Administration Building on Park Avenue. Areas will be marked where to put the trees. Please make sure that any wire is removed from the tree. Trees can be dropped off between December 26 and January 31.

Please call whoever you pay your bill to:


  • Aqua Water Company – 1-800-711-4779
  • North Wales Water Authority – 215-699-4836
  • North Penn Water Authority – 215-855-3617

To view the New Britain Township Public Water map click HERE.


  • Chalfont New Britain Township Joint Sewer Authority – 215-345-1225

To view the New Britain Township Public Sewer map click HERE.

The streets are plowed in order of priority. Main roads are plowed first and then secondary roads, then all development roads. Please be patient as it takes us, on average once the snow has stopped, about 6 – 8 hours to plow the Township and two hours to salt the Township roads.

Snow & Ice Policy

No. Your local trash hauler can remove and recycle your leaves and yard waste. Please speak with your trash provider about the process and procedures.

Trash Haulers

No. You can put them out with your trash. Your local trash hauler can remove and recycle your yard waste. Please speak with your trash provider about the process and procedures.

Trash Haulers

If your mailbox was hit by the snow plow please notify the Public Works Department at 215-822-3698. If it is determined by the Township that the plow did hit your mailbox, the Public Works Department will provide a temporary box until yours can be fixed. The Township will replace your mailbox and/or post if damage to the item was done by the plow. We will only put up a post and/or box up to a value of $100.00 or the homeowner can do it and will be reimbursed up to $100.00, by prior arrangement, with receipt to verify actual costs.

If your mailbox was knocked down by snow expelled from the plow, it’s the property owner’s responsibility.

The Public Works non-emergency number is 215-822-3698 or Bucks County Radio Room at 215-345-3624 after hours as soon as possible and the Public Works Department will bring out a temporary Stop sign right away. Please notify as soon as possible to avoid any accidents from the missing stop sign.

The Public Works Department works Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., and has off most standard holidays. If it is after hours, please call the BUCKS COUNTY RADIO ROOM at 215-348-3564 and explain what your emergency is. They will contact the Superintendent of Public Works and/or the Police Department and someone will respond to your needs.

Yes, every spring beginning at the end of March or early April we begin street sweeping. It will take 2 – 3 weeks to sweep the entire Township. Streets will be swept on an as-needed basis after that.

Public Works Duties & Responsibilities


Township Staff | Code of Ordinances | Forms & Documents | Land Development | Plans, Reports, & Projects | Resolutions