Seal of New Britain Township
visit us on twitter
follow us on facebook
email us

Township History

New Britain Township

New Britain Township was founded in 1723 and celebrated its 275th birthday in 1998. The Township was comprised more than 15,000 acres and included land which is now occupied by Chalfont and New Britain boroughs as well as Doylestown Township. The Township currently encompasses 14.7 square miles (9900 acres).

According to historical research conducted by Township volunteers, it is estimated that the Lenni Lenape Indians arrived in New Britain Township as early as 1397.

The current U.S. Route 202 corridor was a main route for travelers as early as 1730. In 1778, George Washington's troops as said to have marched through the Township on their way to Monmouth, New Jersey from their camp at Valley Forge.

One of the primary features of New Britain Township, Lake Galena, is named after events of the 1880's. In 1838, local residents living near Neshaminy Creek began digging for lead, which occurs in this area as the mineral galena.

As a result of their successful search, the "lead rush" of 1861 began. These lead mines in the heart of New Britain Township were eventually filled with concrete in the 1970's before being flooded to form Lake Galena, in the current Peace Valley Park.

view in New Britain Township
© 2008-2016 New Britain Township, 207 Park Avenue / Chalfont, Pa 18914 / 215-822-1391
Information on this website is provided as a public service. Please read our disclaimer.
site design | na studios